- Talk – Talk to your child about the weather
- Write – Cut with scissors
- Read – Read a good book out loud
- Play – Play dress-up
- Sing – Make up songs about what you are doing
Help your child get ready to read and write with these early literacy activities:
- Do tummy time together
- Create a story using puppets
- Go to the park and play
- Make silly faces in the mirror
- Re-enact your favorite book
Resources at MDLThe library has a great assortment of music, books, and programs to help your child’s literacy skills:
- Bark, George by Jules Feiffer
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin
- Dot by Patricia Intriago
- The Elephant and Piggie Series by Mo Willems
- Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed by Eileen Christelow
- From Head to Toe by Eric Carle
- Pete the Cat by Eric Litwin
- Press Here by Herve Tullet
- The Quiet Book by Deborah Underwood
- MONDAYS: Little Explorers, Ages 2-6 Discovery is right round the corner as children learn while they play. Through guided activities, sensory bins, freestyle crafts, and group stories, your little explorer will delve into the worlds of science, technology, engineering, art, and math! See the events calendar for upcoming dates & times.
- TUESDAYS: Little Tykes Storytime, Ages 3-5 Stories, music, movements, and crafts that encourage preschoolers to socialize, be active, and learn. See the events calendar for upcoming dates & times.
- WEDNESDAYS: Jumpin’ and Jammin’, Ages 2-6 Listen to fun, interactive music while dancing and moving along! Warm up slow, get moving fast, and finish with a cool down. A variety of music will encourage imagination, counting, development of language skills and improve coordination. See the events calendar for upcoming dates & times.
- THURSDAYS: Toddler Time, Ages 1-3 Help your child prepare for preschool! This program includes books, songs, and other activities that promote early literacy and self-esteem. Stay and play after the program; toys and games are provided while you and your children socialize with others. See the events calendar for upcoming dates & times.
- FRIDAYS: Baby Time, Ages Birth-12 month This lapsit program includes songs, books, and movements for babies and their caregivers. See the events calendar for upcoming dates & times.
- 1000 Books Before Kindergarten, For any child from birth until Kindergarten Visit the library to register for this free, self-paced program that will help your child prepare for school success! For every 100 books read, your child will receive a free book. If your child completes all 1000 books before entering Kindergarten, he or she will also receive a certificate of completion. Remember, you don’t have to read 1000 different titles, it’s just 1000 reads. It takes less time than you think: If you read one book a night for three years, you will have read 1095 books. If you read two books a day, you will reach over 1000 in less than two years! Storytime books count too!